From: Jeff Whaley <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: Making Noise Again
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 13:09:08 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Andrew, I would say from my trials and tribulations that the ability to over-cool is a must.  Yes you then have to install either a thermostat, cowl-flap, diffuser-damper or some means to decrease either water or air flow.  Otherwise your installation will only work properly over a narrow band of temperature, airspeed and/or power settings. Designing for cruise doesn't cut it either, as you need the ability to climb. Using 100% synthetic oil removes several worries: flammability (if it leaks it doesn't burn easily) cold oil is no longer an issue (better flow) and as others have pointed out better cooling due to less foaming.

Jeff Whaley
CFJWW, Chubby Cubby, 13B (123 hrs)