From: Ed Anderson <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] fuel consumption gauge
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 18:58:43 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Tracy had such a function in his EM system and I had one in the EFISM I once sold.  Both calculated the fuel flow (and quantity used) based on the duration of the injector pulses.  The flow rate was basically the instantaneous pulse duration, while integration of the pulse durations over some time period gave you the total fuel used.

Since electronic injectors are essentially constant flow devices (at any constant fuel pressure) , if you know how long its open then you can calculate the two factors.  It could be very accurate.  And of course measuring millisecond pulses with a microcontroller that measures down to microseconds, you can understand why the results were so good.

Tracy also came up with a quite simple and suprisingly accurate fuel flow indicator using basically a capacitor and LCD meter.  With the correct capacitance, the amount of voltage that the pulse could charge the capacitor could be read out on the LCD meter as gallons/hour flow.  I built several and was surprised at how accurate they could be once calibrated.  But, they did not provide quantity which is apparently your interest.

Ed

-----Original Message----- From: Neil Unger