From: Charlie England <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: more redrive questions
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 15:39:26 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:45 PM, ARGOLDMAN <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:

Greetings,
I would first like to thank all for the great advice.

I have a few final questions

1. In plumbing the oil return, Tracy relates that using the OMP pad is OK.. Is it. It seems to be somewhat above the output fitting on the RD1-c. Is that OK or should I drain it lower if possible?

2. The Renesis has a really small oil pan. Would it be advisable to increase the size? If this is used, what oil level should be used?

3. When the RD is disassembled for inspection, the 1/4" drilling and stud to pry it off of the plate makes sense. However the spacer and gearbox itself are mated-- how do you separate these without damaging them. I think they are sealed together by RTV.

Thanks again.. I hope in the future to be contributing on the other side of questions.

Rich

Not flying yet, but here goes:

The easiest place for oil return is the base of the flywheel end rotor housing, ~2" up from the pan mating line. Very short run and just slightly downhill. I drilled & tapped 1/4" NPT & screwed in an adapter to AN-6 flair. I drilled & tapped two places, & plugged one. I T'd the two drains as others have done, but I've got an easy plan B if the T'd line doesn't drain fast enough.

Pan size? I've got the stock one on now. If you go bigger, don't forget to move the pickup down to the new bottom.

3. When you do get 'em apart, there are sealants that don't harden...

Charlie