From: GEORGE PUTNAM <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: redrive options
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 09:34:01 -0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Here’s hoping that you reach that magical point of boredom someday soon!!
George
On Mar 23, 2017, at 2:58 AM, rwstracy <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:

Thanks Lynn, good info as usual

Here’s my observations on drive train resonance with street ported 13B (original or Renesis) configured with RWS drives (B & C) and wood props.  The resonant frequency of the full drive train is around 800 rpm.  This passes so quickly on startup that I don’t notice it at all.  My idle is around 1600 RPM, well above the ‘rock crushing’ point.   I notice the resonance only when experimenting with lower idle speeds and on shut down where it rattles for 1 or two revolutions.  Not a problem since there is no more energy being fed into the system and it is quickly damped by the prop.

I expected to have  different characteristics on the RD-2 drive which has no damper, just a tight spline coupling to the flywheel.  There was no noticeable change at all.  Apparently the resonant point and damping are mainly controlled by the gear lash and total flywheel and prop weight.  On the RD-2  I used an aluminum racing flywheel with the steel clutch wear plate removed.  The weight turned out to be very close to the RD-1 with  flexplate setup since the damper weight was not there anymore.  The no damper RD-2 is at least if not better in smoothness compared to the RD-1.   Whenever I’ve felt any significant roughness, it’s always been due to prop balance rather than engine/flywheel weight & balance.

I have about 80 hours on the RD-2C now so I’ve come to believe that the damper is not a critical need on the aircraft configuration unless using a metal prop.  The RD-2 is not rated for use with metal props because of this.  I don’t know of anyone wanting to use a metal prop in the 20 years since I started making drives anyway.  If anyone wants to experimenting with building drives I’d recommend a no-damper setup.  It greatly simplified the design and looks to have no down-side other than the prop limitation.  I know the no-damper sounds like blasphemy but If I ever get bored and have to make drives again that’s the way I’d go.

Tracy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10