From: Charlie England <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: fuel system peer review
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:59:25 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
On 3/21/2017 9:37 AM, Tom Mann wrote:
>I'm willing to live with the risk of a clogged vent. If a vent clogs, I'll be coming down faster from fuel starvation than from over pressurizing the tank
I recently reconfigured the fuel system in my Velocity.
The wing tanks drain to a split (left/right) sump tank.
All tanks are vented to a common manifold which sits up high and has two vents for redundancy.
Each side of the sump is vented to the manifold with an inline check valve. That allows  air out of the sump but not in,
Each wing (Strake) tank is vented  to the manifold.
As a safety measure the manifold  has a check valve that allows air to flow into the vent system (from the cabin) should the external vent ever become obstructed.
Since the system would normally be slightly pressurized, the check valve is typically closed.

2 cents & change.

T Mann
Unfortunately, gravity fed sumps aren't feasible in an RV-x. The quickdrain on the wing tank is the lowest point in the fuel system.

I've tried to keep the actual fuel delivery path and vent system in the fuselage as close to stock as possible; the transfer idea is the farthest I've strayed from that path, and it's unlikely it will end up in the plane.

Thanks,

Charlie