From: Charlie England <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Boost Port Carb Efficiency
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 17:54:18 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 2:06 PM, durabol35@yahoo.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:
Okay, I thought P-porting just meant using all six intake ports.

I am doing an original design so I can design for the engine weight.
I've been in the research phase for the last 15 years but hope to start
construction soon.

I like the idea of using more power but there are a lot of advantages to
limiting it as well. I looked into a single rotor engine but found it pretty
expensive to go that route.

As far as "Hate to sound like a downer, but..." I welcome constructive
critisism and sometimes I need to be clued in.

Brock

P is short for 'peripheral' port. It means to bore a hole in each rotor housing, *roughly* the same height above the top plug as the exhaust port (on a 13B) is below the bottom plug. If you do this, the 'side' intake ports are typically closed off with ...well, they're filled in. P ports give absolute maximum breathing at the upper end of the rpm spectrum. Bill, who mentioned them earlier, is working on a version optimized for around 6K rpm, but that's still way above what you're considering.

As a point of reference, one of the members here has tested a Renesis '6 port' engine (early ones came in both 4 & 6 intake port versions), and found that below 6K rpm, it actually made more power with the '3rdary' ports left blocked (operating as a 4 port). This makes sense, since that's what Mazda does with the intake manifold valving in the car.

The 'cut down' 13B to one rotor will still weigh almost as much as the stock motor (probably 3/4 as much; not half), unless you do what Richard Sohn has done and make aluminum end housings for it. Now you're *really* talking serious mods.

If you're doing your own design airframe, then a lot of things are possible. The Pietenpol Air Camper flew with a water cooled Ford Model A engine, which probably made 35 HP on a good day & the FWF probably weighed close to what a 13B installation weighs. Show us what you're designing!

Charlie