From: Jim Brewer <alpha@concordnc.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] E shaft nut
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:11:16 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:30:43 -0500, John Slade wrote:
Y'know that massive nut that everyone has trouble getting off?
Any tips on how to get it on?
Tracy says 350 ft pounds. Phew. That's me jumping on the end of my torque
wrench.
How do I hold the shaft / counterweights / airplane still while I do this?
Any suggestions on where to get a 2 1/8 socket? That size seems to be
missing from my $9 socket set :)
Regards,
John Slade (torquing up a storm)

>>  Homepage:  http://www.flyrotary.com/
>>  Archive:   http://lancaironline.net/lists/flyrotary/List.html

John,

Two suggestions on your problem. If my memory serves me correctly, Bruce Turrentine says to torque to 150 ft-lbs and mark the nut and turn 60 degrees more using a 3 ft cheater bar to get the correct torque. It is in his rebuild tape. Holding the plane down might be a problem. You can purchase the socket from Sears for about $25-30. Option two, would be to borrow/rent one from a place that changes tractor-trailer tires and use an impact wrench to tighten the extra 60 degrees. Without Ed Anderson's help I would never have gotten the nut off. Ed's impact wrench made it look like child's play. Same would be true installing. I have never tried this but I have heard you can use an impact wrench with a "spare air" tank if you don't have a compressor at the hanger. You only need a few short bursts with the impact wrench. Of course, if you are Ed Anderson, you just haul a compressor around in the back of your van to help lost souls like me! ;-)

Jim Brewer

Like "Dust" I need a fix--keep us posted, John!