From: Al Wick <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Return to Flight
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 06:45:46 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
<I am a little confused about the system pressure being able to read what the pressure cap setting is, and somehow adjusting the pressure, under normal <operating conditions.

Sorry if I didn’t explain well. If you fill your cooling system completely to the top, no air in sys anywhere, then warm up engine to 200F will result in seeing a pressure reading of 16 psi. Fluid will leave sys and go to your overflow. Now, let the engine completely cool. But this time, remove 2 cups of fluid. This time when you warm up engine, you see max pressure of 10 psi. No fluid will overflow. This is because that two cups of air acts like a giant spring. Air molecules are far apart and easily compress.

I fly with 2 cups of air in system. It’s so much safer. Since the air is above the engine, out of the block flow, it has no significant neg affect on cooling. The safety is due to flying way more informed. A cooling sys completely stacked full of fluid will mask a number of common problems, but the two cup of air method makes all the problems clear with gobs of advance notice. For example, I was deliberately very abusive to my first engine. Overheated it time and again during ground run experiments. Suddenly I saw 22 psi, where normally it never exceeds 12 psi. That pressure only lasted for 5 seconds. Sure nuff, I review the data, this was caused by my finally getting a compression leak into cooling sys. It only leaked for 5 seconds after applying full throttle. Would not have been able to observe this if I had a fully filled cooling sys.

<are you using an unpressurized reservoir

Not needed with two cup of air sys. Coolant never exits sys unless temps exceed 220 F or so.

<purpose of the cap's setting

Cap pressure rating gives you boil over protection. Boil over is a big deal. When it happens it’s darn near irreversible. Pretty remarkable actually. You reduce power and it continues to boil fluid out of system. I use 22 psi cap. With my 50/50 mix, that means boil over can’t occur until I reach a whopping 289F. 16 psi cap is a good choice. That would boil over at 252 F and you are not running at needlessly high pressure.

<Would it not be true that in an "Ideal" system that a popoff cap would theoretically not be necessary?

I need that popoff on the off chance that I achieve very high operating temp. If I reach 289F, then my 2 cups of air are fully compressed. I would then have completely fluid filled sys that needs to dump water to prevent rad from blowing open.

-al wick