From: Finn Lassen <finnlassen@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] EDDIE variable Intake photos
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:24:59 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Work of art, Ed!

You're putting the rest of us (well, at least me) to shame.

Total weight?

Finn

Ed Anderson wrote:
Well, folks, the unveiling is here.

Here are the first photos of my variable length intake manifold designed based on the EDDIE analysis.  The primary and secondary of each rotor are merged into one runner (1 3/4" dia).  These two runners are composed of 1.854 dia tube in which the 1.75" dia tubes slide.  One set for each rotor.  There is a small DC 50 rpm motor (turns out this is a bit slow) that turns a jack screw.  This jack screw drives the throttle body mount and the two 1.75" dia tubes and changes the length by 4" which is a range of approx 1500 rpm.  I wanted to get a 6-7" change, but this is a prototype, so I used what I had laying around in terms of manifold parts which put the whole setup 3-4" higher than  I want.   So depending on OAT the 1500 rpm range could give me the EDDIE from 5000 - 6500 rpm.

There is a controller with limit switches at the upper and lower extension to independently stop the motor when limits are reached.  I have a small potentiometer with a gear on its shaft.  A rack is attached to the throttle body which moves up and down with it.  The teeth of the rack turn the pot which of course changes the voltage which is indicated on the control box by 10 Red LEDs.  There is a dual color LED which is Green when the throttle body is extending and is Red when it is retracting.

A few photos are attached.  Hope to install it on the aircraft tomorrow and within a day or two have it running.

Ed Anderson
RV-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC

 Archive:   http://lancaironline.net/lists/flyrotary/List.html