From: Randolph <randolph7714@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: your intake and exhaust manifold
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 17:21:17 -0600
To: 'William Mason' <instructorbill@msn.com>, Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Thanks, Bill
I have some of the same concerns you have expressed!  I'll be watching that exhaust closely as it should crack sooner perhaps before  later.  The tubes welded directly to those thin exhaust flanges (308 type) are inconel 718, same strength at 1650 degrees as mild steel at room temperature and welded using TIG and Haynes alloy 214 as I remember (4 1/2 % aluminum Ni base alloy).  Weather they provide enough restraint to keep the thin flanges flat against the engine...we will see.  I am anxious to get airborn to experience my own "hiccups" so prevalent in the comments.
Regards
Randy