From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Your Fuel Map: [FlyRotary] Re: Engine Tuning
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 23:28:23 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Brian,

I have my fuel MAP values and comments (in blue) buried in your spread sheet.  IF I had to make a stab at this point and quick look, I would say you are probably running excessively rich at your higher map values > bin pointer 75 < bin pointer 103.  See my notes.  I took my MAP values (turbo block street ported - good intake - no turbo) and converted them to your reference - that column is in blue is my value for direct comparison with yours.  Some places we different but it probably doesn't really matter - in other areas where we differ, you are running considerably richer than my engine.

I have the 2.84:1 gear box swinging a 74x88 prop and consistently get 6000 rpm static on a normal day and can get up to 6200 on a colder day.  My fuel flow will range from 16.5-18 GPH on take off and has hit 20 GPH on a cold day. I use a 91 Turbo block street ported sans turbocharger.  I have a fairly decent intake system (about the sixth version - so I did quite a bit of experimentation to get it right and I think it’s a pretty descent intake)

Do you have an air/fuel ratio indicator?  If so I suggest you run your engine at some of those bin numbers and record what it is telling you (lean, Medium Rich, etc).  While at higher Manifold pressure you do want an air/fuel ratio running closer to 12.5:1, I suspect your air/fuel ratio may be even richer than that.  Now all of these comments apply to bin/manifold pressures in the non-boosted range < bin 103 or so.

Take a look at my notes - it is possible your problem could be too rich.  Too much fuel in your mufflers getting ignited can certainly produce a loud bang.  Perhaps ignition could also cause it, but right now it appears to me you are simply way too rich between bins 75-103.  If you have an air/fuel ratio indicator, I would try reducing the mixture in those areas.

Hope this helps

Ed

Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:49 PM
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Engine Tuning

Ed,
Attached is my map table as of today after I tuned it tied down  on the ground. I have a 93 13BREW that is normally aspirated, it has 9.1/1 compression, swinging a catto 74 dia x 88 pitch prop through a 2.85/1 PSRU. This EC2 is set up to accomodate turbo engines, so I have addresses that go up to 38 inHg. They are  not used.

 I generally idle at MAP address 11 mp of 14.9 inHg. at around 1600rpm. This is a 60 degree day at barometer setting of 30.3. Advancing the throttle, the EC2 switches over to the high RPM table at MAP address 17 (mp 17.2), going straight to address 80. My staging point is 84 (mp 19.1) from there up to full throttle, MAP address 106 mp 29.1, the transition is smooth. At full throttle on the ground I'm getting 5200 RPM. When I go much past that RPM on takeoff, that's when the missing starts. I'm still guessing that I need to richen up the mixture in the addresses above 106.

Any input from anyone on this would be appreciated.

Brian Trubee