From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Wide Band wasRe: [FlyRotary] Re: Forced Landing.
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:10:20 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bobby, I've looked into wide band O2 sensor a bit.  As you know, the principal difference over the narrow band is that the sensor output voltage curve is much more linear and extends over a wider range of voltage (from approx 0.5 - 2.5 vice 0 - 1 for the narrow band).

It is not uncommon to have the air/fuel indication vary a bit.  I would not expect each combustion process to be exactly the same as the one occurring the moment before (but, should be close).  So the amount of oxygen left over in the exhaust gas  from each combustion event is likely to vary (at least a small amount).  This in turn would show up as small variations in the air/fuel ratio.  Also RPM might have some effect, at lower rpm the combustion events are further apart than at higher rpm.

Another possibility is as you mentioned is the possibility that the sensor is indicating a slight misblance between the two rotors.  If that is the case I would expect the RATE of variation you see to vary with rpm and be fairly consistent at different air/fuel ratios and rpms.

Ah, such fun.

Ed

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 10:18 AM
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Forced Landing.

Steve,

The wideband may be picking up a small fuel imbalance between the two rotors. Or is could be perfectly normal for all widebands to jump around. I would expect an increase in EGT’s with a gradual partial blockage. A high EGT alarm would give some indication.  I would also expect a steady but higher than normal temp with a build in restruction. But with a sudden blockage at high power? The answer may not be of any value since only a pressure sensor would tell the pilot to stop trouble shooting.

Bobby