From: sqpilot@earthlink <sqpilot@earthlink.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Intake question
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:05:25 -0500
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Message

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 10:41 AM
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Intake question

Hi, Rusty.....the first manifold that I received from Atkins (the one he sells with his EFI fuel and intake system) fit very well on my 1989 turbo engine.  The ports all seemed to line up nicely. It is the short, straight manifold. I sent it back to him, and traded for the wrap-around manifold, which is now sitting on a shelf. Nice decoration for my garage.  Hope this helps?  Paul Conner

That's interesting Paul, but I already called Atkins place yesterday to ask, and they said they didn't make a straight manifold to fit the turbo block.  I didn't talk to Dave, so maybe the guy on the phone just didn't know.  Maybe it's worth another phone call to talk to Dave.

As for welding up the current space, I don't see how it would be possible.  The channels are so narrow, that my tig torch barely fits inside.  How about some other metal?  Is there something along the lines of a brazing alloy that would melt at a substantially lower temp than aluminum, so I could just heat the entire manifold with a torch, and pool the molten alloy inside the runner?

Thanks for any comments.  I've got to get moving on this intake in the next couple days, since I'm burning vacation time to make this happen.

Cheers,
Rusty (off to the hanger for some inspiration)

Yes, there is a brazing alloy that will melt with a torch. I have some. I purchased it at Sun-N-Fun.  You can use it to repair aluminum radiators, etc.  All you need to do is heat the receiving item with a propane torch. It does NOT need to be heated until it turns red.
      As far as the welding is concerened, I was talking about stick welding.  Would the 1/8 inch stick not be able to make it in there?
     Paul Conner