From: Ken Welter <rotarycoot.ken@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Nitro in a rotary aircraft - N/A 20B?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 07:59:15 -0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
  All you need is two nozzles, one for each rotor, one fuel and one nitrous solenoid valve a tank and plumb it in, the fuel line goes to the fuel rail and jet it to the chart as per fuel pressure you are running and the HP you want.
 Ken

Ken - What model of NOS kit do you have?  I went to their website and it seems to be broken out by car type and whatnot.  Some sort of a generic kit, or was it a custom setup?  Thanks!

Dustin

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Tracy <tracy@rotaryaviation.com> wrote:
I think Ken is right that the EC3 would work fine with nitrous but to be on the safe side you could set the B controller up with less ignition advance and/or disable the trailing coils during takeoff with the nitros shot.   There is a coil disable input on the EC3 for coil testing that could be used for that purpose.

Tracy

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Dustin Lobner <dmlobner@gmail.com> wrote:
Ken,

How easy would it be to add it after the fact?  I'm building a Bearhawk, planning to put it on floats eventually, but not right away.  The nitro would be assistance getting off the water, same as you.  If I were to add the nitro when I add floats, how hard would that be?

Dustin

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Ken Welter <rotarycoot.ken@gmail.com> wrote:

  I have been running NOS with a 125 hp burst to get my Coot up on the step and out of the water, without it I would just have a boat that could not fly, I think it would work fine with Tracy's setup as the nitrous system adds extra fuel to make up for the extra oxygen, use only the NOS brand system as most other systems are junk.
 Ken

On Nov 21, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Dustin Lobner wrote:

Yeah, I'll put that idea to rest for awhile then.  Thanks!

Dustin

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Tracy <tracy@rotaryaviation.com> wrote:
Nitrous systems that I've seen have a completely independent system for injecting additional fuel when the nitrous is on.  The EC3 has no way of knowing anything about the NOX system so it does nothing different.

Tracy

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Dustin Lobner <dmlobner@gmail.com> wrote:
Some talk on HomeBuiltAirplanes.com forums brought up the question, has someone ever used nitrous oxide on a rotary aircraft install?  I'm pretty sure a supercub-type plane did that awhile back (on a Lyco) for a super short takeoff roll using a fixed pitch cruise prop (with a crapton of HP at takeoff).  That's close to my application in the end, probably with a N/A 20B, hence the interest.

Tracy, how would your EC3 handle short bursts of nitro?  Would that totally throw the mixture curve, would I need to manual adjust while doing it, or would it auto compensate somehow?

Thanks!

Dustin
Rockford, IL