From: George Lendich <lendich@aanet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Oil return line
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:04:30 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Amen to all that brother.
I'm still driving the 73 Landcruiser, my first car was a Ford Prefect cost 5 Pounds ($10) 2nd hand, second car was an Austin A 40 2nd hand cost 100 pounds ($200) and I was still driving that when I got back from Vietnam in 70. Went bezerk after I got back in 70 and ordered a brand new Datsun 1200. Blew all my Vietnam savings.
Now my motorbike Suzuki 1800 has a bigger engine, but I've still got the 73 cruiser.
I wonder what the next 100 years will hold?
George (down under)

Lynn,
I notice they use metal where necessary, this could be problematic with the rotary, especially with the end plates. I can see a way around this with a system similar to the rotor housing liner, but we are a long way from that technology. Still I would love to be around when it does happen.
I wonder why they considered the technology a failure, perhaps longevity issues.
George (down under)

If you sell cars for a living you don't want to start producing cars with engines that don't appear to wear out.

None of that technology will be used until competition forces them to.

Those of us who drive cars until they will not move at all, could be driving the same car for 30 years. Our Dodge Caravan has 214,000 miles on it and running fine. My brother in law just gave us his minivan with
134,000 miles on it because they low-balled him too much as the trade in on a new truck. Thank you dumb a__ car dealer. That means another 12 years of free car for me.

So the carbon end plates would be faced with silicon nitride. Same thing the best racing apex seals are made of.  No heavy cast iron plates to wear out.

They guy who designed the Polimotors said he could have done the crank shafts if given a bit more time. So there could have been a 140 pound engine right there. That technology is now very old. What can be done today?

Lynn E. Hanover