From: kevin lane <n3773@comcast.net>
Subject: windy?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:56:40 -0800
To: flyrotary <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
I was at the airport yesterday around 3:30.  wind was 20, gusts to 26mph, but straight down the runway, common for TTD.  But, I decided not to burn the gas since there wasn't much to photograph and didn't feel like getting beat up.  crown point is 7 miles east of the airport and sticks out into the Columbia river gorge, what, a 1000' above the river?  at 5:11pm they recorded 101 mph winds at crown point!  I have flown backwards there before, but it was blowing like 70mph, and I dropped the flaps and saw 3knots west on the GPS, while pointed eastwardly.  very strange impression to see things get smaller, rather than bigger while flying.  the Columbia river gorge is the only spot in the cascade mtn range where air masses can pass thru rather than over the mtns.     kevin [this is a shaggy dog reply to a prior question - are you in a hurry to fly!]