From: Tracy Crook <tracy@rotaryaviation.com>
Sender: <rwstracy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: water temp probe
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:18:57 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
40 deg oil temp delta is typical if you oil cooler is working right.   Water temp delta is WAY less than that.  Mass flow  is much higher and the specific heat of the fluid is much higher.

Tracy

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM, George Lendich <lendich@aanet.com.au> wrote:
Mark,
That is a great monitoring system, I would like to do the same thing as you have done one day.  I'm not sure about how good the 40* delta-T is, I will let someone else comment of that, maybe Ed A.  as he  mentioned 80-100*F Delta -T for water, perhaps oil is half of that .
George ( down under)
Bill,
Since you didn't direct your question to any specific person, I'll tell you how I set up my engine monitoring system up.  I measure temp and pressure of both the oil and water.  I also measure water level (float switch in the purge tank) as well as the return water temp back into the engine (after the radiator).  So, from this I can tell how well my exchangers are working.  As an example, I normally see a 40* delta-T across the oil cooler.  If this drops, my temps go up and I need to land and find out what's not right.  I also measure coolant pressure.  If pressure is low / high, I need to investigate.

Is this information overload?  Maybe, but I would rather have too much data than not enough.

Mark S.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Bill Bradburry <bbradburry@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Am I correct in my assumption that the engine only has an oil pressure sensor and not an oil temperature sensor?  Is the only engine temperature monitored by the coolant temperature sensor???

Bill B

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 06:18:39 -0600
From: msteitle@gmail.com

Kevin,

I think you want to measure the temp of the coolant as it exits the engine.  That way you know how close you are to your upper operating limit.  If you have a second input, you can measure the temps after the radiator.

Oil temps are just the opposite... measure temps after oil has been through the cooler and is entering the engine.

Mark S.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:52 AM, kevin lane <n3773@comcast.net> wrote:

in looking for a place to mount a water temp probe I realized my radiator has a drain plug fitting on the bottom of one of the end tanks that could work.  that portion of the tank has cooled water about to return to the pump.   does it matter if I monitor the before or after radiator temps?  the engine sees both, right?

same question as to the oil temp probe.  the stock oil cooler has a large fitting [plug?] underneath of one end tank, not sure of its usage.  also have an extra plug in the oil pan [out the side] which might work [?]  told that originally had a oil level sender unit in there.   kevin

This message, and the documents attached hereto, is intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message. Thank you.