From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Streamline Vs Parabolic Ducts/Diffusers
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:45:13 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 4:57 PM

Reply #2..
  Ed,  Are you sure the labels are not backwards on the two duct pressure recovery charts?

Tracy

 Labels are correct, however, I used two different Y scales for the dynamic pressure on the two charts.  The dynamic pressure values are correct but the unequal scales appear to give the parabolic curve the greater dynamic pressure recovery, when in reality it is the streamline duct.
The Y axis on the right is for dynamic pressure.

I just posted the two charts with their dynamic pressure scales equal and I think it is clearer now.

Ed Anderson

Ahh!  that explains it.  The only thing missing (for me) is that I don't have a mental picture of the streamline duct shape.  In fact, I may have it wrong for the parabolic as well.   I picture the duct area for the parabolic going up like the chart for the streamline shows it.

I also thought a 7 degree duct was a simple straight sided duct with sides that diverge at a 7 degree angle from the centerline.  Maybe I'm more confused than I though : -)

BTW, this is great stuff Ed, keep it coming!
Tracy

Again, my failure to communicate is probably at the root of the problem.

The other (blue curves) shown on the graphs are not the shape (coordinates) of the ducts walls, rather they represent the area of the duct at that x  coordinate point.  So the shapes might appear to present the wrong duct coordinates - but they are not duct coordinates (:>), they are the duct area at that coordinate (in square feet).

The reason I did area is that I was using the continunity of mass equation to derive the air velocity at that x coordinate using p*V*A (DensityxVelocityxArea) which holds constant throughout the airflow in the cooling system.  So I needed to calculate the duct area at each X coordinate in order to compute the velocity at that point which of course I used to calculate the dynamic pressure at that point.

 I probably need to throw in the curve for  the duct wall coordinates as well as that would make it clearer.

By the way, I have two data point on the pressure drop across the GM cores.  You flight with Paul and one done by a gent on a test set up.  Yours measure around 7.25 inches h20 and the test stand gave 7.5 inches h20.

I had calculated a pressure drop coefficient for the GM core based on the dimensions (including space between fins, etc).  If I assume your ducts were closer in performance to the parabolic ducts then the difference between the measured and my calculated ranged from 4 - 7%.  Since few of us probably have the low loss of the streamline ducts. I think that is a fairly good correlation between calcuated pressure drop and measured.

I am going to assume that is close enough for me to continue to see if I can develop an "optimum" design with the GM core and then assuming we don't have room for optimum what effect which changes might have.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas to you and Laura.  My daughter and son-in-law just came in with our grandsons, so all for tonight.

Ed Anderson