From: George Lendich <lendich@aanet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Oil Cooling
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:04:41 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Mark,
I notice your Hp requirements for the 20B, which is 125hp per rotor. This exactly what I'm aiming for in a single rotor application, but would be happy enough with 115hp, if that's all I got.

Given that the motor can only gulp so much fuel and air and HP is dependent on RPM, which is restricted in our case. Are you considering any forced induction other than tuned inlet .

I've opted to use the RX8 high compression rotor to give me some addition HP and am using 44mm inlets to give higher inlet velocity, however my maths indicate even with this  arrangement, 125hp might be out of the question. Certainly higher RPM would solve the problem, but that's not available with reduction ratio I'm considering and many are using, might get to 7,500 but that's it.
George ( down under)

George,

Yes, my Fluidyne cooler should easily do the job of cooling my current engine.  But I am building a P-port 20B to replace this motor downstream, so I need to design for 375hp (375 x .8 = 300).  The Fluidyne cooler is 297 cu in (core size is 9 x 11 x 3).  Close enough for government work.

Mark