From: Kelly Troyer <keltro@att.net>
Subject: Down load EC2-3 to laptop
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:12:19 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
To Steve Boise,
        I have accidentally deleted your private post on the cables and your software to
down load EC2-3 info to laptop or handheld...........I have the cables and adapter
hardware but have lost all photos and link to your software..........Would appreciate
it if you would resend info to both the following E mail address's..............

--
Kelly Troyer
"Dyke Delta"_13B ROTARY Engine

-------------- Original message from Tracy Crook <tracy@rotaryaviation.com>: --------------

I doubt anodizing is a factor.  Keep in mind that the starter we use is a light duty one but its rating is 1.2 KW.   With a typical cranking voltage of 10 volts, that's 120 amps.  With that kind of current, the only logical routing of the ground cable is as directly to the load as possible.

Do the math.  At that current level, it only takes about .008 ohms  to drop your working voltage a full 1 volt.  That's 10% of your cranking power lost.  Rotaries are especially sensitive to cranking speed because they lose more compression than piston engines at low speed.  Low compression makes starting more difficult.  Losses in this circuit must be minimized for many reasons.   Also note that the ground connection point that many have said they are using goes very near the crank sensor and its wiring.  This proximity makes inductive coupling into the CAS circuit more likely.

Add all these factors up and it is not surprising that many builders have starting problems.

Tracy

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Jeff Whaley <jwhaley@datacast.com> wrote:

I’m curious about the engine mount style you guys are using with this voltage drop situation.

I can’t imagine this problem occurring with the bed-mount/aluminum plate between the oil pan and engine block configuration.

Surely a 3/8” or ½” plate of aluminum and 20 bolts will conduct from housing to housing?  - unless maybe it was anodized?

Jeff