From: Steven W. Boese <SBoese@uwyo.edu>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Ground isn't ground
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:55:16 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Kelly,

I guess the 2nd EC2 could be considered a "spare".  There is only one EC2 installed in my plane.

There are a couple of reasons I have the two units.  The first is that I purchased a firewall forward setup from a friend who had scratch built a plane similar to an RV3 using a 13B power plant.  He had trained in B17's in preparation for deployment in WWII but the war ended before he was deployed.  He recently lost his medical, sold the airframe, but still had the firewall forward equipment.  I figured that he could use the funds more than the firewall forward equipment so we reached an agreement.  I see this and my choice of my RV6A's paint scheme loosely based on the Hellcats my late uncle flew in the Pacific at the end of the war as a small tribute to the "Greatest Generation".

The second reason is a selfish one in that I enjoy investigating how things work.  My intent is to make an operational test cell from the firewall forward equipment.  It is partially finished, waiting on mounting the engine and cooling system such that I can run it somewhat safely.  At this point all the electronics is wired and I can operate the ignition and fuel injection systems by turning the CAS using a variable speed motor.  This has proven useful for collecting data (without the complications of starter inrush currents for example) for comparisons with data collected from the installation in my plane.

Tracy,

I should have mentioned that your memory is not that bad.  Initially I was using the stock Mazda coils.  I changed to the LS1 coils with the EC2 update in January this year.

Steve Boese