From: Bill Schertz <wschertz@comcast.net>
Subject: YO-3A design muffler
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:19:53 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Where can we see a drawing of this?
Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser #4045
N343BS
Phase I testing
----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Wills
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 12:05 PM
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Your muffler

OK George, my memory is now jogged having seen your drawing. I liked the design when I saw it the first time but discounted it for my application because I couldnt see a good way to make any muffler with a tangential entry fit my airframe. This is the same reason I passed on Al's proven muffler design.

I think the use of cooling airflow introduced into the muffler makes a lot of sense and this is something your design has in common with the YO-3A muffler I've been talking about. I believe the YO-3A design would prove superior by virtue of the greatly increased volume of the muffler and the use of absorptive materials.

Of course until someone builds one and tries it who knows if it will hold up to the abusive exhaust output of a rotary. But the YO-3A design does have the advantage of being flight proven in a pretty tough environment - low altitude recon in Vietnam.

Your muffler design (or Al's) is a winner if the goal is to keep the muffler within the confines of the cowl. My cowl is already too tight without a muffler in it.

Mike Wills
RV-4 N144MW