From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] 13B exhaust system
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 19:11:31 -0400
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Thanks yvon,

The Hushpower have turned out to be the best I have tried thus far.  They
would work even better IF

1.  I did not have the turbo block without the splitters in the exhaust
ports - the splitters knock 8 db of energy off the exhaust noise.  So that
alone makes a noticeable difference.
2.  I did not have two header pipes.  Exhaust theory shows it would take a
muffler 1/2 the size I am using or one the size I am using would be twice as
effective if I had the exhaust from both rotors going through the same
muffler.

However, it was cheaper by 1/2 to go with two mufflers than have my exhaust
header modified for one muffler.

The bottom line is for those two reason, my exhaust is still quite a bit
louder than I would prefer.  However, the reason I made those decisions back
a long time ago - was for POWER! MORE POWER Scotty!.  At that time, I was
looking for every HP I could find.

Now that I have a much better induction system, the 2.85:1 gear box, larger
prop, etc, I could probably trade off some power for quite.

But, all things considered I'll keep the Hushpower II mufflers.

Ed
Ed Anderson

Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered

Matthews, NC