From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Seepage, no more. Oil system
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:14:11 -0800
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Hi; Chris;

Seems to me the simplest approach, since you have that system all set up; is to simply connect the front oil cooler in parallel for use as your heater.  I assume you have the lines running through the left side duct per plans, so the lines are not the cabin.  That way in can still provide some additional cooling for your oil, and provide cabin heat as required.

Do you already have another cooler plumbed in near the engine?  I’d recommend -10 lines.

FWIW;

Al G

My question to the collective is; would it be acceptable to use the aviation oil cooler that is already installed in conjunction with my currant water coolant system. My thinking is that an oil cooler, if I understand correctly, is more "durable" and able to withstand more pressure than the standard water radiator. Of course, there may be reasons other than pressure that would factor in, I just don't know them.

IIRC, oil pressure has been up to 75 psi, whereas stock coolant pressure caps are at about 13 and some in our uses some use 21psi caps. Thus, seemingly, this stock aviation cooler should be up to the task of being plumbed into my coolant system to provide heat for the cabin. I would think, perhaps in errors, that it should be at least as durable as a standard heater core. It would save a nice bit of time not having to redo the glass and plumbing at the front of the plane. I would like, in an ideal world, to remove the oil cooler from then nose, flush it and reinstall as a water radiator.