From: Mike Wills <rv-4mike@cox.net>
Subject: unique muffler idea
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 18:43:59 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Saw an interesting aircraft at the Miramar airshow today. The Lockheed YO-3A Quiet Star was designed during the Vietnam war as a low altitude night recon aircraft which relied on  near silent propulsion for stealth. It is now owned and flown by NASA-Ames as an acoustical test platform to gather inflight acoustic data on helicopters - its so quiet it doesnt corrupt the data. Here's a website on the airplane:

It started life as a Schweizer 2-32 sailplane, greatly modified. It used a Continental IO-360 geared 3:1 to turn a very wide blade prop at very slow RPM.

Most pertinent to me was the engine muffler. Hard to describe so take a look at the picture.

The exhaust enters this faired section on the side of the fuse. There's a steel chamber at the front that simply provides some volume for the exhaust to expand into. Behind that chamber is about 8 feet of oval section pipe filled with holes and a fishmouth at the end. This entire faired area and the fuselage side under the fairing is lined with fiberglass to absorb the sound. So the fairing is the muffler.

I suspect this  design would actually work for the rotary because the perforated section is so large that it would dissipate the shockwave and the cool air flowing through the whole thing as well as the gap between the perf tube and the fiberglass would prevent the fiberglass from getting beat up. Mounted on the bottom of the fuse I think it could be pretty unobtrusive compared to a large muffler slung underneath the airplane. And it looks like it should be pretty good aerodynamically as well.

Mike Wills
RV-4 N144MW
Image
miramar_1 (Small).JPG