From: Mark Steitle <msteitle@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Quiet is Deafening
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:36:27 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Kelly,

You just need to fly at Mach 1 so you stay ahead of the sound.  ;-)

Can anyone report on the effectiveness of the tangential muffler in actual real world situations?  (As I recall Al G. is running a tangential muffler on his Velocity.)  I ask because I'm in the process of building one for my Lancair with the hopes that it will work better than the DNA muffler that I'm currently running.  I think it will work better at reducing the noise level in the cabin, but at what cost to power?  Hopefully, this will save me the cost of a new Zulu ANR headset.  Comments appreciated.

Mark S.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Mike Wills <rv-4mike@cox.net> wrote:
Kelly,

 If you think the quiet is deafening go fly behind a rotary - now thats deafening!

Mike Wills
RV-4 N144MW