From: Bill Schertz <wschertz@comcast.net>
Subject: Wire Marking
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:58:25 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Here is a message that I sent to my local EAA chapter with information about a wire labeler that prints on shrink tubing. Also, in my opinion, (although I did it) stuffing the small labels under the clear tubing is very time consuming. Whereas printing directly on the shrink tubing is much more time efficient.

FWIW
Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser #4045
N343BS
Phase I testing

When I built my plane, I very carefully labeled all my wires, printing out a label for each end, cutting it out, and heat shrinking it with clear heat shrink tubing.  Unfortunately, I used a label printer that used thermal printer on the tape, and with time, and the heat under the cowl, most of the labels are turning black and unreadable.

It is too late for my plane, but I know there are many others in the chapter that still have the wiring to do. There is a better alternative, a printer that uses THERMAL TRANSFER printing, and will print directly on heat shrink tubing.  The tubing is then slipped over the wire, and heat shrunk into place. The printing shrinks with the tubing, and you get a very professional label, that won't go away.  My proposal is this:

1.  The Chapter buys 10 heat shrink cartridges, and gets a FREE Dymo Rhinopro 5000 labeler at this web address

http://www.buyheatshrink.com/dymo-label-writer/dymo-replacement-labels.htm#heatshrink

2.  A Chapter member wants to use the machine -- he/she buys from the chapter the appropriate cartridge, and borrows the labeler.  When done, he removes his cartridge from the machine and returns it to the chapter or the next member that wants to use it.

Net result: Members get professional quality labeling, the chapter ends up with no net expense ( about $300 upfront cost)

Bill Schertz

Plane currently grounded because BlueMountain unit out for repair.