From: William Wilson <fluffysheap@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Muffler
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:08:47 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
While the rotary design is a little more resistant to the onset of preignition, once it happens, the rotary is damaged just as easily as a piston engine or even more so.  Drag racers suffering preignition have dismantled their motors and found rotors dented in from excess chamber pressure.  It is possible that you have been having mild preignition not enough to damage the engine, I suppose.  Do you suppose you have been running really excessively rich?  That would also contribute to plug fouling, low power and low EGT.  If you have fuel injection, a fuel map problem showing up only at high manifold pressures (higher than you normally attain in your usual operating regime) maybe?  You should get WAY more than 10 hours on spark plugs even running 100LL.

If combustion were still taking place as you speculate then it would ignite the incoming mixture during the intake cycle and cause a backfire.  So I think that is not it.

I assume you've seen this but I found it interesting:
http://www.wankel.org/74_Ignition/74-22%20Spark%20plug%20life%20.htm

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Steven Boese <sboese@uwyo.edu> wrote:

I never found the broken muffler part in the outlet of the muffler where it might have caused increased back pressure even though it was possible for it to end up in that location by standing the muffler on its end.  The symptoms after repairing the muffler were the same as before the repair was made so at this point, I don’t think the broken part was a factor in the performance issue.  Looking back at the data log, the #2 rotor EGT dropped by about 250 degrees during the power deficit.  Back pressure would probably affect both rotors in a similar fashion so that would also point to SAG as the culprit.

In response to your and Bobby’s questions, at the onset of SAG, there were a total of 15 hours on the plugs, 106 gal total of fuel burned, 53 gal of that was 100LL.

Ed is most likely right that operating at the increased manifold pressure available at low altitude made the SAG show up while it didn’t at lower manifold pressures that I normally see.

The relatively small amount of time and fuel that the plugs had seen when SAG occurred may also be due to the low power levels and correspondingly lower combustion temperatures permitting more rapid lead deposition on the plugs.  It looks like I should routinely change plugs every 10 hours or so.  I did have extra plugs along on the Texas trip and it would have been easy to have installed them at the rotorfest.

The nature of SAG is puzzling.  The symptoms of decreased EGT, decreased power output, and increased heat transfer to the oil and coolant are all consistent with descriptions of pre-ignition more than that of spark plug misfire.  In piston engines, pre-ignition can rapidly lead to destruction, but the rotary engine may be more tolerant of it.  Maybe it isn’t a matter of no ignition due to the spark plug not firing, but a matter of the fire not going out between sparks.  The lead in 100LL increases the octane rating by slowing the combustion rate and thereby decreasing the tendency for detonation.  Maybe there is enough gas phase lead in the vicinity of the spark plug with lead deposited on it that the combustion rate is slowed enough to persist from one cycle to the next while the normal combustion rate occurs in the rest of the chamber. This could result in a process similar to pre-ignition.  This theory probably has as much probability of being right as the one I had concerning the apex seals clicking.

Maybe I can accumulate a pile of SAGGING spark plugs as big as Ed’s.  That would be verifiable at least.

Steve Boese