From: Kelly Troyer <keltro@att.net>
Subject: Re: Modify Alternator for External Regulator
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 17:07:50 +0000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Group,

    I appreciate all the different opinions and perspectives about this subject............Each of us as
experimenters has to decide for themselves their comfortable risk level...........I currently have a
Mazda alternator modified as described on my Chevrolet V6 powered 1988 RX7 with about
60,000 miles on the conversion (My 13B lost compression <apex seal> and I feel Rotarys are
wasted in cars so will now power my Dyke Delta)...............The internal regulator failed but
failed open instead of an internal short which would have allowed runaway voltage.........I do
realize that the majority of failures fail open , "But" my personal risk level still wanted the ability
to switch off field voltage and shut the alternator down in my "Delta"...........I do not currently
have a switch in the field circuit of my RX7 but will be installing one to test this as there has
been some discussion that residual magnetism in the fields might prevent the alternator from
shuting down............Will report my findings...........

      I realize that abilities among experimental aircraft builders vary but in my opinion if you
can build a safe and flyable aircraft with a Mazda Rotary engine then the skills needed to
modify a Mazda alternator should be no problem...........This is not rocket science , all you
are doing is removing an internal regulator (I think the entire circuitry should be removed as
I previously stated) the brushes connected to ground and the field windings connected to
a now unused external connector..........Until the advent of the internal regulator alternators
were all built this way electrically.............IMHO & FWIW
--
Kelly Troyer
"Dyke Delta"_13B ROTARY Engine