From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Oil.
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 11:14:49 -0400
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Hi Gonzalo,

Most of us put 2 cycle oil into our gas tanks.  Some folks premix it with a bit of gasoline in a can before doing so.  I personally just pour the needed amount from a set of plastic 18oz containers and then squirt in the fuel which seems to mix it up just fine.  Since each of my two tanks are 18 gallons that gives me around 1 oz per gallon which turns out to be more than enough.

A conversion modification was available for a few years that permitted you use a firewall mounted container filled with 2 cycle oil and then use this adaptor and the regular oil injection pump to inject 2 cycle oil rather than crankcase oil as the automobile set up does.  However, I think they have been discontinued due to the lack of interest – as I said, most folks just mix it with their gasoline.

Basically, to disable the pump system, you need to plug the two oil injection holes in the alumimun rotor housings (I use two metric short length bolts) and remove the injection pump from the front cover and put a plate over the pump opening.  Some folks remove the gear that drives the pump, I left mine in.  Its really not that hard.

Hope this helps

Ed

Ed Anderson

Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered