From: <jewen@comporium.net>
Subject: First Start
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:59:56 -0400 (EDT)
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Today I reached a mile stone on my Velocity / 20B project.  The many hours of research, planning, building, etc paid off today as the 20B came to life this afternoon.

About 9:30 this morning, Ed Anderson came by and looked over my installation.  After finding no major deal breakers we prepared to start up the 20B for the first time.  At first there was no life.  Started the routine troubleshooting - simulate injectors - OK, simulate spark - OK.  Well what about the CAS.  Traced the wires and found a error in the CAS wiring.  A soldering iron had the problem fixed in about 30 minutes.  Now we were starting to get some puffs of smoke that were actual combustion by products, but could not quite get it to run.  Twice it caught but would not sustain running.  After numerous discussions of lean, rich, try this, try that, recharge the battery - we hit on a combination that would sustain running.  Ran for about 90 seconds at 1500 to 2000 RPM and shut it down.  Looked over the engine and found everything to still be intact, no major leaks, or anything melted.

Time to take a break, finished off the third pitcher of lemon aid, sat down and recapped the days events with Ed, while thanking him for all his help, both today and for all the wisdom I have gain from him through this list.  Ed wished me continued success as he departed for home.

Took a break for dinner, realizing it was the first meal of the day.  Then I could not resist running it a bit more (7 more times actually.)  Showed the wife that it would actually run (she missed the fist start by about 10 minutes.)  Worked on validating temp and pressure measurements as well as tuning on the low speed end.  By the end of the night I have a repeatable starting pattern and have pretty smooth running down to about 1000 RPM.  Most of the leaves on the south east corner of my property are gone, the 20B makes a super leaf blower.

In the end starting a rotary for the first time can be summed  up with one word ... Cool.

Thanks again for your help Ed and to all on this list that have given wisdom and knowledge and made this day possible.

Joe - VELO 173 RG / 20B