From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: K&M and Thick Radiators
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:41:39 -0500
To: <flyrotary>
Posted for "sqpilot@earthlink" <sqpilot@earthlink.net>:

Ok, Paul.  Based on my back of the envelope calculations at a fuel burn of
8.5 gph with that size radiator, you would need an airspeed of around 142
mph to provide adequate air mass flow.

 Hi, Ed.....the aircraft should reach rotation speed of 90 mph hopefully by
mid-field (1500 feet), and right after rotation and gear retraction, you set
up for a 120 mph climb.  Sounds like I need to re-figure to get a radiator
that might cool at 120 mph in a climb. George Graham, whose aircraft is very
similar to mine, said he can take off and climb at 1/2 throttle. Don't yet
know what rpm that turns out to be, or how much horsepower.  I'll keep
plugging away at this until I find a reasonable "starting" size for my
radiator.  I've already collected 3 intake manifolds.....don't want to start
collecting radiators. I will leave that to Rusty.   Thanks again for your
valuable input.  Paul Conner