From: George Lendich <lendich@aanet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Taildragger Power Requirements
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:37:29 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Ed & Rick,
The RX8 is good, I am using some parts in my single rotor development, however but the earlier engine housing are  much easier to P-port, which would give the 200+ power you are looking for. Sure, Turbo will give you the additional as well, but so far I'm not sure we have sorted out all the Turbo problems other than for normalizing at altitude.

Then again there are differences of opinion on P-port sizing, some say 2" , however I tend to believe the Powersport direction of 44mm give sufficient breathing for the RPM we are dealing with and has some additional velocity for better VE (volumetric efficiency).
George (down under)

Hi Rick,

I've flown with both an 86 N/A(Naturally Aspired) engine and a 91 Turbo
Block (sans turbo).  I switched from the 86 to the turbo block for several
of reasons (don't know if they were all valid).

1.  The Turbo block intake ports did not have the auxillary secondary valve
to deal with (as did the 86 N/A block) and were simpler to 'Street port".

2.  The turbo block exhaust port did not have the "splitter" as the 86 did.
Reports show the splitter knocks 8db off the noise level - which means it
also knocks off some power - how much is the (still) big question).  The
downside is without the turbo, the turbo block is much nosier than N/A
blocks with the exhaust splitter.  So if you live/fly in a noise sensitive
area you might want to either stay away from the turbo block (sans turbo) or
be prepared for some serious muffling.

3. I had read that the coolant galleys of the turbo were "better" designed
as the turbo block had to get rid of more heat due to its higher power.
Again, I have not ever found a credible Mazda source for this claim

4.  The Turbo rotors have a bit less compression than the N/A rotors, so I
replaced the turbo rotors with the "higher" compression 9.7:1 N/a Rotor -
again to gain a small increase in power.  The downside was of course the
additional expense.

With just a bit of attention to the induction and exhaust systems, you
should be able to get 160 HP without heroic efforts.  Remember we generally
operate at lower rpm ranges than an all-out rotary racer - therefore produce
less HP.  With some careful attention to the induction system, high
compression rotors, perhaps some street porting - 170 -180 HP are possible
with the older 13B.

If I were doing it today, I would without question go with the Renesis.  A
bit more power, bit newer block, no spare parts problem, etc.  On the other
hand, if you have a ready to roll older 13B then I would not hesitate to use
it.

Ed

Ed Anderson

Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered