From: Mark Steitle <msteitle@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] 20b intake help
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 06:22:35 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Steve,

That's exactly what I did and it works fine.  I used an 80mm and seems about right, but I wouldn't go with any smaller for a 20B or you'll be loosing horsepower.  Having the primaries and secondaries separated is most likely done for drivability (quick throttle response, etc.)... not a big concern with airplanes.

Mark S.

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Steve Parkins <momsblacksheep@msn.com> wrote:
i have done two now and it is heavy 18 pds with TB. the tb is 7 pds.
a lot of wight was in the making of primary/secondary air.
my question is, do i need to split the air ? could i just go with a big TB and 6 inlets
(plz read sds web site) rvjguy@ canard forum  thanks in advance

steve parkins

From: flyrotary@lancaironline.net
To: flyrotary@lancaironline.net
Subject: flyrotary Digest #2459
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 06:00:15 -0400

        Rotary motors in aircraft Digest #2459

1) Re: Initial Tuning - Today
by James Maher <delta11xd@att.net>
2) Re: Starter Problem \ Question
by Jeff Whaley <jwhaley@datacast.com>
3) Re: Initial Tuning - Today
by James Maher <delta11xd@att.net>
4) Re: Initial Tuning - Today
by Mark Steitle <msteitle@gmail.com>
5) Fuel Pressure Regulator \ Vacuum Leak
by "Bobby J. Hughes" <bhughes@qnsi.net>
6) UMA Tach
by "John" <downing.j@sbcglobal.net>
7) Re: UMA Tach
by "Ed Anderson" <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
8) Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator \ Vacuum Leak
by "Al Gietzen" <ALVentures@cox.net>

This digest is sent to you because you are subscribed to
the mailing list <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>.
To switch to the FEED mode, E-mail to <flyrotary-feed@lancaironline.net>
Send administrative queries to <flyrotary-request@lancaironline.net>

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 06:56:11 -0700
From: delta11xd@att.net
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Initial Tuning - Today

Mike,

One way to test for intake manifold leaks is to pinch off hoses one by one while the engine is running to see if RPM decreases. You could also remove the each hose at the manifold an plug the inlet. Also be sure that the intake manifold gasket and throttle body gasket are sealing good and that all bolts are tight.

Jim

From: jwhaley@datacast.com
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 07:06:27 -0700
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Starter Problem \ Question

Bobby, I have seen similar problems with contactors/relays in
the past, specifically the automotive starter relays that are chassis grounded
and require +12V to activate the relay … if the +12V (battery voltage) is
weak these relays will stick ON. In my case, the starter would stay engaged so
there was no doubt about what was happening but the engine was not running …
in your case with the engine running you may not be able tell.

Why don’t you run the starter for a second or two, but do
not let the engine start (turn fuel off for example) then check your amp meter
after disengage?  Jeff

Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 07:07:22 -0700
From: delta11xd@att.net

Mike,

Are you using the right fuel injector for your application?

Such large jumps may be due to improper injector sizing.

The Geo engine is a fuel sipper rather than a gas guzzler so it would require

an injector that can meter fuel much more precisely.

Just a thought.

Jim

Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:20:53 -0500
From: msteitle@gmail.com

Jim,

I've had good luck finding vacuum leaks using WD-40.  With the engine running, spray WD-40 around the intake gasket and other places you suspect a leak.  Since WD-40 is flammable, the engine will change speed if it sucks some liquid into the intake.  If the engine speed changes, you've found your leak.  For safety purposes, and to keep the WD-40 from spraying you in the face, you may want to remove the prop.

Another way to diagnose engine problems is with a vacuum gauge.  See http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Using-a-Vacuum-Gauge-for-Engine-Diagnostics/A_2393/article.html

Mark S.

--
Mike

================================

Subject: Fuel Pressure Regulator \ Vacuum Leak
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 19:11:19 -0600
From: bhughes@qnsi.net

I reinstalled my EC2  yesterday after a
few changes by Tracy. I immediately discovered a new problem. The lowest MAP
address being used was 62 and both primary and secondary injectors fired at all
MP and RPM. With Tracy on the phone and Dennis H supervising my efforts we found
a small vacuum leak at the Aeromotive A1000-6 fuel pressure regulator. After
switching the two MP tubes between A&B controllers the A controller starter
working as expected. The EC2 staged properly with lower MAP addresses being
accessed. When reinstalling the EC2 I had switch the MP tubes from my usual
configuration. A couple of weeks ago I had noticed my B controller was not
working as expected. I had to continually adjust the mixture to keep the engine
running. Now I know why. What was unexpected is one MP tube is used for the
fuel pressure regulator, B Controller and my Advanced EFIS engine monitor. The
Advanced engine monitor was not affected by the slight leak. On the other hand
the EM3 did see the leak and was showing static pressure regardless of
MP. Here is a note from the Aeromotive web site.

NOTE: Testing
the enclosed regulator by applying air pressure or vacuum to the vacuum port
with a

hand-held pump will yield poor results,
due to the slight air leakage through the adjustment screw

threads. This minute leakage, which is
typical of all adjustable fuel pressure regulators, does not, in any

way, affect the performance of the
regulator.

Bobby
Hughes

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
From: downing.j@sbcglobal.net
Subject: UMA Tach
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 21:35:39 -0400

A great big thanks goes out to Bob, Ed and Jeff for
the effort these gentlemen put in on a solution to my tach condition.  I
ordered the tach from UMA today, which is part number 19-51A-201, which is a
7,000 rpm tach, 2 1/4" dia., which will operate on the 5v signal to one LS-1
coil.  Price is $141.00.  Phone number for UMA is 1-800/842-5578, in
case anyone is looking for an analog tach in 2 1/4 or 3 1/8th" size.
Another plus for UMA, it is made in Virginia, Good Ole USA.
JohnD

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
From: eanderson@carolina.rr.com
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] UMA Tach
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:11:28 -0400

You’re Welcome, John

That’s what this list is all about –
helping each to get those rotaries airborne.

Ed

A great big thanks goes out to Bob, Ed and Jeff for the
effort these gentlemen put in on a solution to my tach condition.  I
ordered the tach from UMA today, which is part number 19-51A-201, which is a
7,000 rpm tach, 2 1/4" dia., which will operate on the 5v signal to one
LS-1 coil.  Price is $141.00.  Phone number for UMA is
1-800/842-5578, in case anyone is looking for an analog tach in 2 1/4 or 3
1/8th" size.  Another plus for UMA, it is made in Virginia, Good Ole USA.
JohnD

database 3267 (20080714) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3267 (20080714) __________

http://www.eset.com

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
From: ALVentures@cox.net
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Fuel Pressure Regulator \ Vacuum Leak
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:21:21 -0800

Here is a note from the Aeromotive
web site.

. . . .This minute
leakage, which is typical of all adjustable fuel pressure regulators, does not,
in any

way, affect the performance of the regulator.

Maybe it is typical of all Aeromotive pressure regulators; but my TWM adjustable
regulator is T’d off the line to controller B, and has worked fine for
four years with no leakage.

Al G

Hotmail® has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.