From: Greg Ward <gregw@onestopdesign.biz>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: forced landings
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:52:45 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Any good machine shop has a bead roller that can do the job, including mine.  Cost about $2.50 a pipe end.
Greg Ward
From: Mark Steitle <msteitle@gmail.com>
To: "Rotary motors in aircraft" <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Gary Casey was [FlyRotary] Re: Rotary Engines
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 06:45:24 -0500

Mike,

Has anyone ever tried to document the rotary incidents resulting in a forced landing?

Here's what I recall from memory, so it likely is missing a few;

    3 forced landings due to ruptured oil coolers
    1 forced landing due to apex seal coming out of its slot (rotor out of spec)
    1 forced landing due to improper assembly of engine (seal wedged between rotor & side housing)
    1 forced landing on highway due to catastrophic overheating of engine
    2 forced landings (one fatal) due to probable fuel system design flaw
    1 forced landing on highway due to ingestion of FOD.

There were a few others, such as turbo failures which allowed for continued operation at reduced power, so we may or may not wish to include those here.

While a number of these incidents date back quite a few years, and we have made excellent progress, it says to me that we still have room for improvement in the peripheral department.  The good news is that out of all of the incidents listed above, none of them were caused by a true engine failure.  That's where the rotary has really earned my respect as a viable a/c engine.

Pay attention to the details!

Mark S.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Mike Wills <rv-4mike@cox.net> wrote:

This has been an interesting thread. In the end, it doesnt really matter how many "major" parts you have - even a minor failure can bring you down. While I believe the basic rotary engine itself is more fault tolerant than a recip, the peripherals used in the typical rotary install are a lot more complex than a typical recip install. Since we rotary fliers dont have the benefit of 70 years worth of experience flying behind the typical LyCon farm implement I think overall our odds are considerably worse. Comes down to how well an individual engineer's his installation and there is a tremendous amount of variation here.

The dependence on electronics in the typical rotary install  is a good example. I may be a little sensitive to this issue since I've been trying to find an intermittent glitch (2 times in 22 hours of engine testing).

Mike Wills

RV-4 N144MW