From: Tracy Crook <tracy@rotaryaviation.com>
Sender: <rwstracy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: DNA Muffler
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:38:39 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
"sounds good" Mark.  My guess is that the 2" restrictor is in the correct place now.  Don't think it would be as effective before the muffler.

But the big question is, did the 3 to 2 " reducer cause any noticeable power loss?   I plan to do the same thing on my plane when time allows.

Tracy

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Mark Steitle <msteitle@gmail.com> wrote:
Mike,

It may be a little premature to declare it a winner, but with ~10 hrs on it now, it is holding up better than anything I've tried so far.  Keep in mind that this is DNA's best muffler, rated for 1000hp.  It is made of fairly thick SS, .030 if I recall, much thicker material than most mufflers.  I had to add a 3" to 2" taper to the outlet in order for it to be acceptable in the noise category, but that was surprisingly effective in reducing the exhaust noise to an acceptable level.  (Maybe I should have just put the reducer on the 3" downpipe and saved some weight.)  Anyway, when it passes 25 hours, I'll post another update.  At this time it is looking very promising.

Mark S.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Mike Wills <rv-4mike@cox.net> wrote:
Mark,

 Any update on the DNA muffler?