From: Ernest Christley <echristley@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] OPENOFFICE.org DRAW
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 08:35:11 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Yvon Cournoyer wrote:
I just now found out about this free suite.
Anybody using it?
Is it better than Windows Office?
Yvon C.

I've been running it exclusively for several years, working for a Fortune 500 company.  I have no problems, whatsoever.  Some people have had problems with reformatting issues...page breaks and such happening in the wrong places.  The solutions to those problems is to install the extended font sets.  In their typical "heh, it works here" fashion, Microsoft's concept of a document storage format is brain-dead.  Page formatting shouldn't depend on externalities like specific fonts.

In fact, I've been using Linux exclusively for the last 5 years.  I'm using Kubuntu right now.  The killer app for Linux  now is the package management solutions.  If I need a program to handle a task, I pull up the Adept program.  I type what I want into a search bar, and it searches a database of 24,668 packages for programs matching that criteria.  A couple of clicks to install the programs I want to try, and Adept will download, install, and setup the program for me (along with any libraries or other dependencies they have).

Here's a screenshot of the program listing drawing programs that are available.  If you like OpenOffice's DRAW, you should try Inkscape.

Image
snapshot1.png