From: Don Wallker <drwalker@gbis.com>
Subject: Re: staging1
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:42:29 -0800
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bob,
    Finally got around to figuring out why no EGT.  Tried grounding one line.   Nothing.  Took apart the connecting where the EGT ends and connects to your wires.  EGT wires (from ACS) are red and black.  Yours are yellow and red.  I had hooked the red to red and black to yellow.  Seemed to make sense.  Wrong.  It's the other way around.
    Monty,  Yes, pumps in the tank is the way to go.  I considered it, but with all that I had to do, and they were working on the firewall for so many others, I went that way.  I had a chance to play with things today.  At low RPMs I ran it and played with it, using the AutoOpen page to get my info.  and tuned from there.  At least up to 16 inches.  No stumbling and no pump problems.  I shut down when oil and H20 got to 210.  Let sit for a few minuets and tried the pumps.  Both cavitated.  Opened the oil door to let heat out for 10 mins, and the lower pump started pumping a little and then the upper pump started working.   Heated it up again.  Shut down and the same situation.  I think??? things just get heat soaked once there is no air flowing.  Am thinking about going to a junk yard, getting a selection of solenoids, spring loading the oil door open and putting a switch on the panel to pop this door open on shut down or during taxi back to the hanger.  Massive amounts of heat flowing out.  The screws that go through the fire wall, especially the upper part are very hot.  I see why Tracy puts silver insulation on the front of the fire wall.  I think that the problem is heat during shut down and not heat during running, but that is only a preliminary guess.  Will call Tracy in the AM to find out how I can get the real time mixture to stay displayed.
    For all of you that have successfully tuned your engine and are flying, did you do all or most of your mixture tuning in mode 1.  I may be making this too hard.  When it stumbled after staging, I went to mode 6 and got it to run OK at 20inches but not other setting.  Should I  have stayed in mode 1 to do the mixture setting?  How does is work exactly.  I assumed that the EC -2 keeps feeding more and more fuel to the primaries and then the secondary kick in and I have to tune them on mode 6.  Will mode 1 do this all.  Is this how the injectors and the EC-2 work?
Don