From: Ron Springer <ron2369@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Naca Report on Radiator Thickness
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:51:25 -0800 (PST)
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Ed,

The most the rejected heat could change in this case
is 300%. You made a 300% change in thickness which
results in a 300% change in wetted surface area.

Your number will be lower for a couple reasons:

1) Decreased mass flow (5% in your case)

2) Boundary layer thickness grows as you go deeper
into the radiator. The last 1" of radiator will never
be as effective as the first 1".

I know your equations accounted for (1) but not sure
about (2). I haven't checked your reference.

The drag increase of 58% sounds way too low. You
increased surface area by 300%. Unless mass flow
decreased a lot (it didn't) or drag coefficient
dropped a lot (it shouldn't), then this can't be
right.

Ron