From: Tracy Crook <tracy@rotaryaviation.com>
Sender: <rwstracy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] LS1 coils
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:16:59 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
I think I noticed one of the D581 type have weak spark shortly before complete failure.  I am still using three of the D581's just to proove to myself that it was a heat problem that caused several failures before I put a cooling plenum around them.

 I have heard no reports of the D580 type failing (even without a cooling plenum) but I still recommend an enclosure with a supply of cool air to them.  We are pushing them pretty hard in aircraft use.

Tracy

On 10/21/07, Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net> wrote:

Has anyone noticed a "degradation" of spark strength as a failure mode of the LS1 coils?  I've assumed that a coil failure would most likely occur due to failure of a solid state component in the coils circuitry; resulting in no spark.

Al