From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Intake Length
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 09:15:17 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
George, the total distance from the intake port opening in the combustion chamber to the center of the throttle body is a nominal 21 inches.  This can be varied from 19" to 23" by adjusting a clamp and sliding the upper portion of the tubes (attached to the TB mounting plenum).

The velocity of sound decreases with decrease in temps (and vice versa) so for winter time, I adjust the intake to a shorter length( to account for the slower velocity) and in summer time I adjust it to the longer length(to account for the higher velocity of sound).

My calculations show that for a 100 F manifold temp the length should be (depends on the intake porting) a nominal 21.25" and for a manifold temp of 50F the length should be a nominal 20.25" So 21" is not that far off either way.  If the manifold temps vary wider than that then the distance will vary as well.  Its actually the timing that is critical, so we have time = distance/speed.  So to keep the time the same, if the speed (of sound) decreases then you must decrease the length(distance) and if the speed increase then you must increase the length to keep the timing the same.

Now this is all based on a engine speed  of 6000 rpm.  The rpm will change the required length.  I elect to tune my intake for 6000 rpm because that is my take static/off rpm and I want my maximum power on take off.  If I were an air racer then of course I would tune it for a much higher engine rpm (but, I'm not {:>))

Ed

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC