From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Problem? [FlyRotary] Re: Coolant Water Pressure
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:05:19 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bill,

You indicate you get overheating after 10-15 minutes run time.  I may have missed it, but is this at idle, max throttle or what.  Also what is your OAT.  If at idle or low power then, yes what you are seeing is not what it should be.  On the other hand, if at WOT or high power settings, then 10-15 minutes run time would be indication of a great cooling capacity.  I can not run my engine more than a minute or two at WOT on a 80F day without temps getting into the 200F range.  But, that is at 5800-6000 rpm.  At idle, the temps stabilize and I can idle all day with safe temps.

My coolant system runs with no air cushion and yes, I get a hydraulic "lock" pressure reading of as high as 25 psi immediately upon engine start up.  After a 30 - 60 seconds of running the pressure  drops down to zero and then after a few minutes running builds back up as the coolant warms up to operating temperatures.

Plenty of suggestion have been made about what to check - all good.

Good luck.

Ed