From: Haywire <haywire@telus.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: and when the fan stops turning :-(
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 00:21:29 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

 I've had the pressure sensing switches go bad on some turbocharger auto's I did back in my younger days.  I finally decided that they were just another source of failure and none-essential in my opinion, so I don't use one in my aircraft.

Boy, between the adventures of your water pump and now this, I know who to suggest to Laura Crook as a Candidate for the next "Lighten strikes 1, 2, ...  times award" {:>)

Well since you bring it up........ I got struck again today. I bought a new pressure switch today. Installed it and did a ground run up with no leaks. We decided to take it for a run to 8000'. Another RV-6 followed us up to take some pics. We were level at 7500' with everything mostly normal - oil temps were a little higher than comfortable from the climb but were slowly dropping down. EWP was still working great. The other RV finally got up to us and slid along side to begin filming video. About 5 minutes later, (after oil temps had returned to normal) they told us we suddenly began trailing smoke. (they later told us that it looked exactly like a smoke injector from the exhaust). We began an immediate descent and called for urgent landing clearance. All engine temps and pressures still looked good and if we hadn't been told we'd have seen no indication at this point, but then suddenly we had a little smoke in the cockpit. At this point we decided to kill engine power to eliminate any fuel supply to any possible fires. As we were directly above the field we were confident that we could easily dead stick it in. I figured if we shut down we could always start it again if necessary on final, but if we ran it out of oil we might not have it available to us when we wanted it. The RV-9 has a fantastic glide rate and the most problem we had was bleeding off the altitude. We floated to a gentle landing, where we were met by 2 firetrucks with sirens wailing. After determining that no fires were present they escorted us back to the hangar (under tow). We quickly determined that it was again the pressure switch that failed and like you, I decided that I didn't need it again. Ever! So we removed it, put a plug in it, filled the oil and went flying again for an hour of circuits which while bumpy (partly due to turbulence, mostly due to my landing technique :-), were uneventful. The tower guys must have been shaking their heads when we headed out again so quickly after an emergency landing?
    On another subject, I'm beginning to see higher oil temps on climbout than previously. Ed's cooling calculator with my numbers plugged in shows exactly what I appear to be seeing (thanks Ed), with the oil cooler not quite able to handle the climb power. I understand that the program doesn't account for the higher cooling load from the turbo, and I'm also using Ford evap cores, but it's still interesting to see it so close to my actual results.

Well I've gotta get to bed as I plan to do this again all day tomorrow.

S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B RV-9Endurance
C-FSTB
http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

   "Whatever you vividly imagine, Ardently desire, Sincerely believe in, Enthusiastically act upon, Must inevitably come to pass".