From: George Lendich <lendich@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: New Cowl Contest
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:58:46 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Jarrett,
A great and admirable undertaking - I wish you lived/worked locally!
Give us an idea of your design!?
George ( down under)

George, it will do pretty much whatever size you want. 20ft x 44" would require splitting it into two pc's [ the usable length is 18ft of actual machine travel] but, if that includes the cowl and the rudder, then it could be done in 1 pc as you'd do those seperatly. Large plugs which have to be fabricated in more than 1 pc are a little bit more labour intensive, but can be produced so as to bolt together into 1 usable unit. It's a machined part so the dimensional sections will fit and match, even if its a complex 3d shape.

I entered into this venture because I wanted to build my own plane [of my own design]. I realized that to do this would be a huge undertaking making all the needed molds, so I decided to get a machine that would do it for me. It should be able to do plugs and molds which will require very little [if any] finish work, other than a lite sanding w/ a foam board to take down any little ridges left by the tooling.

Realizing that others could use the same machine for their own projects was also a motivating reason to go ahead w/ aquiring it. The actual operating cost's should be low enough that it would be cheaper to use this unit over doing a plug yourself [if you value your time @ more than at minimum wage or so]

I also plan to use it to do complex patterns/cores for Aluminum casting, but thats a bit farther out into the future.

Jarrett