From: Todd Bartrim <bartrim@gmail.com>
Subject: Thermocouple Splicing
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:21:17 -0800
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Hi Scott;

                My replies to your questions keep bouncing, so I’m trying this as a new e-mail. I’m just going to paste a response to a previous e-mail of a similar nature… It should lead you to the answers you need.

Ernest is correct in that the error introduced at the junction will
cancel each other as long as careful attention is paid to keep everything
the same at both junctions. However the junction created when you switch to
copper is called the reference junction and has special importance. More
info can be found here...
http://www.omega.com/techref/thermoref.html
If you are unfamiliar which thermocouples and want more good info, then this
link is excellent.
http://www.omega.com/techref/themointro.html
It also has links to other good info on various aspects of T/C's

In my application I used a bundled T/C extension wire to go from the D-sub
connector on the EM2 to a small sealed junction box located beside the
engine.
http://www.omega.com/pptst/4KX_MULTIPAIR_CABLE.html
I used a 4 pair "K" type stranded and a 4 pair "J" type stranded cable. They
are flexible and I was able to solder to the D-sub connector. This keeps the
reference junction at the EM2. In the junction box beside the engine I have
a terminal strip where I can connect individual T/C wires. Some of these are
permanent, such as the "K" type which are used for the EGT & TIT, but the
"J" types I have moved to various locations while experimenting.

S. Todd Bartrim

C-FSTB

Turbo13B RV9

http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm