From: Todd Bartrim <bartrim@gmail.com>
Subject: Why is Endurance coming apart?
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 01:37:11 -0800
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

                Ah, yes it seems I’m taking too many steps backward right now, but I will go forward again. When I first flew it, I had bare bones flight instrumentation, a handheld radio mounted in my panel, no x-ponder,  and a panel full of automotive engine gauges (the EM2 was still in pre-production). As I could afford it and new stuff became available or affordable, I added to the panel. When I first moved to the airport I rented hangar space from a small regional airline in an huge old WW2 hangar that was affordable at $270/month in the summer, but winter rates were $1050/month (and there was a waiting list for the winter!) And there was a several hundred (can’t remember exactly how much) dollar surcharge if you opened the huge hangar door when the temp fell below a certain temp to cover heating costs(and that was before this latest huge increase in natural gas costs). Needless to say I’ve been parked outside on the apron since then.

                I’ve since added a Dynon, EM2, X-com, Micro-Air X-ponder, other assorted gadgets, along with a number of FWF modifications, all done while parked on the apron with all my tools carried in the truck. As you can imagine this is never the best scenario for working on a plane as it always seemed that I would forget to bring a crucial tool or something unforeseen would occur or a storm would appear or sometimes it was just to damn cold to work your fingers. With that said I always ensured that my installs were safe and properly done, however I always knew that I’d likely have done something’s differently had I been working in my heated well lit shop where I built it. Building this plane was an extremely gratifying achievement and was immensely enjoyable, as was flying it, however the requirement to work on it outside in adverse conditions began to wear on me and I found myself less inclined to make the long drive up to the airport. This combined with my long trips back to tech school every year, and soon I had an airplane that I didn’t want to fly until I had the time to do a fair bit of maintenance on it, but I didn’t have the time to do it. Finally with another winter approaching, I pulled the wings and took it home.

                Over the last year I built a large (32x36x12) shop attached to our new house, and while it isn’t yet heated or have cement floor poured (I’m doing everything myself and trying to pay as I go), it is a huge improvement for working conditions. First thing I did was pull my D-10 and send back for upgrade to D-10A, which requires rewiring the harness, which sorta opened a huge can of worms. Didn’t need to, but everything I thought I could do better now, ended up coming out. Allot of this was also done when I was still a first year instrument mechanic apprentice, and now five years later as a journeyman I’ve learned a few more tricks and feel I can and should improve things. Another factor which pertains more to the FWF is that it was all designed and built with no rotary flight experience, so when real world testing proved some of my ideas flawed, alterations were once again performed in a less than ideal circumstance. I’ve yet to begin dismantling anything FWF yet (which is why I’m still quiet on the list), but a few things that need addressing are; new rads (old ones still scarred from hail storm encounter), comply with Tracy’s AD on the RD-1A (welded vs. pinned gear), check oil o-ring again as oil press is low, ceramic coat exhaust pipes, plus an assortment of other little items. Oh yeah did I mention the brake fire that destroyed my wheel pant? So I better throw a little fiberglass time onto the work schedule tooJ.

                Unfortunately progress has slowed this month as on New Years day our deepwell pump quit (556’ down) so had to be replaced, so I also began upgrading the rest of the water system electrical control, then I melted down a piston on my Ski-Doo (main mode of transportation to work in winter as I only live 3km from work by trail, but 15.5km by road = 3minute commute vs. 20min), Then my electrical system failed on my skidsteer, while I was working with it in a really crappy location inaccessible by any vehicle that would have any chance of towing it back to the shop, so I had to run hundreds of feet of extension cord out to it to keep the block heater and work lights plugged in. Without being able to lift off the cab this was a real bitch of a job. Made working on the apron seem not so bad. Now the snow is getting high enough that my 3 horses have finally figured out that they can step over the fence! So the last few nights I’ve been woken up by the sound of horses calling and the dog barking (you’d think they’d be smart enough to be quiet when they escape, but no, they gotta holler and let everybody know they’re out… damn hayburners). So the plan for tomorrow is to use the skidsteer to dig the snow out from the fence line… sounds more fun than working on the plane anyways… eat your heart out Florida J

                So now you know why Endurance is coming apart. I think I’ll go mix another hot buttered rum. Goodnight.

S. Todd Bartrim      (still thinking of putting skis on the 9)

C-FSTB

Turbo13B RV9

http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

http://members.cox.net/rogersda/rotary/configs.htm#C-FSTB