From: Tracy Crook <lors01@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: engine surging at low manifold pressure
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:37:15 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Ed asked me about this off-line and thought this might help others.  Here's my reply:

Not sure what to make of Al's experience with the secondaries.  I haven't noticed this myself but then again, all our installations are so different I would not expect them to be the same.

I haven't been able to think of a reason for the secondary idle improvement.   If you are seeing this too, try the following first and see what happens.  Swap the primary injector connectors and see if that also improves the idle.  I had accidentally swapped these (in software) during very early testing on test stand and found that the idle was worse this way but made no difference at higher power settings.  Don't know why your & Al's engine would be just the opposite but worth a try (swapping the primary connectors).  We can play with this and tuning when you get here if you like.

Injectors are almost never the problem.  Don't look there unless ALL else has failed.

Surging at idle while in descent flight (engine probably windmilling) was fixed on my installation by enrichening the lowest 2 MAP table addresses in the high (>3000) rpm range.  This can only be done while actually in-flight with the EC2 panel (kind of awkward since you are normally occupied with landing chores)  or using the EM2 to edit the table off-line.   With no EM2, get a bunch of altitude under you so there is no anxiety about colliding with the ground while doing this tuning.

BTW, in general, I think windmilling operation should be avoided since this puts the gears in reverse torque and the gear thrust is on the nylon snubber.  Could be a problem if done for prolonged periods although I have never seen any evidence of this.

Lou's idle MAP is way out of the correct range as Al noted so something is wrong there.  I can fly in level flight at MAP of 15 - 18" Hg.  This is not idle.

Tracy