From: Steitle, Mark R <mark.steitle@austin.utexas.edu>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] tachometer recommendation
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:43:07 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Lou,
I've been using the EM-2's tach feature.  It seems to be right on the money.  I had trouble getting a good reading out of the BMA E-1, jumping all over the place, and gave up on it for the time being.  Now, I've decided that I'll try to get a prop rpm input from the M/T controller to display on the BMA.  I'll let you know how that turns out when I get around to doing it.

As for tuning, I too have been fighting to get a smooth idle.  It just doesn't seem to smooth out like I know it should down around idle.  I was getting a high EGT reading on #1 rotor and so I pulled the injectors and had them all cleaned.  After reassembly, the high EGT reading was still there.  Turned out to be a bad EGT sensor.  I'm still trying to determine if it is the sensor or the wiring to the EM-2.  Once I get that ironed out, I'll attempt to get the EM-2 to do an auto-tune.  Hopefully, once that's done she'll be purring like a kitten, even at idle.  One thing I've noticed is that whenever I run it, it always draws a crowd.

Mark S.