From: david mccandless <daval@iprimus.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Plugs down
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:19:10 +0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Ed,
thank you for your response;  I had not thought of the pooling of fuel in the plugs; they are little cups, after all.
However, my main question was not in regard to flooding but to fouling, ie SAG in the cruise: why should 'plugs down' be more susceptible to fouling in cruise?
I still favor plugs up: I like the hot exhaust going straight down, but this is fine for land planes like ours, but I can see the same wish to have inlet below and the exhaust going up in a pylon mounted engine plane ala Coot .
I think I may have asked you this before but,  'what the hell',   If you were doing it all over again, knowing what you know now, would you still go "plugs up"?
Always enjoy your posts,
BR, Dave McC  Europa XS RX8 all alloy engine.

On 14, Jan , at 8:36 AM, Ed Anderson wrote:

Actually, Dave, it almost ensures you will be dealing with a flooded engine frequently.  Any small amount excess fuel in the liquid state (not uncommon on those cold days) would pool in the spark plug holes.  With plugs up, you do not  have to take the spark plugs out when the engine floods.  Just crank it a bit with the throttle open and it fires up.  With the normal side ways orientation - you frequently (but not always) must take them out to fix a flooded engine and with them on the bottom, I think  you will almost certainly have to take them out.

But, I do agree- if you do take them out, then all the excess fuel should fall right out.

FWIW

Ed

All and Sundry,
Why would it lead to a plug fouling problem?
Sure makes it easy to clear a flooded engine.
FWIW, Dave McC