From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: I welded!!!
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 22:18:48 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
"Ed Anderson" <eanderson@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

Impressive welding!  A man of many and growing list of  talents!  After
hearing about your sunburn earlier, I decided to forego the TIG welder in favor of a 3 in 1 Mill/Drill and Lathe that can be retrofitted for CNC.  A Christmas present that came earlier!   Son of a gun weighs 900 lbs, got to bring my engine lift home from the hangar to mount the machine on its stand.  Gonna be able to send the chips flying now  ----- but, still can't weld {:>)
<<<<

I decided to go the whole route last year, bought a Miller TIG machine, a Grizzly mill and a HF mini-lathe (that I'm planning on replacing with a Hardinge when I get rich and famous <g>)... I find that I can weld steel just fine, and do a fair job on flat AL surfaces, but when I try to weld up a corner in AL I make a complete mess.  Going to get some formal training one of these days... the problem is not knowing what's wrong and not even knowing what questions to ask <ggg>.  Anyway, I know it's not rotary related, but since we're talking about welding and building things, here are some photos of a towbar I built for the Lake amphibs here at "the compound" in Orlando.  Got to use all 3 machines... making chips and melting metal with a purpose is great fun!  (The little brass turnings mounted to the towbar are adaptors for the updated nosegear strut on the Renegade.  The Buccaneer in the photos is in the process of being refinished, another interesting project.)

    <Marv>